Nita has tagged me to write 10 movie quirks about me.
1. I first went inside a movie theater when I was 16. Too late, wasn’t it? My first movie was Pyar Kiya to Darna Kya. I was mesmerised with sheer experience of watching a movie in theater. 🙂 Since then Kajol has been my favorite actress. No matter what she did, I have liked her.
2. When I was younger, I used to like SRK because he could emote so well with eyes. It was also a time when I could not decide whom I liked better: George Clooney or Brad Pitt. I am no longer a ardent admirer of any actor (if you discount my wee bit soft corner for Kajol). With every performance, my opinion about the actors changes. But I must admit, have liked most of the male actors at one point or the other.
3. The movie-watching activity is completely captivating experience for me. I prefer to watch with rapt attention, without any interruptions. I don’t even need a popcorn. I do not even pay attention to a crying baby or a talking couple unless they are too loud.
I remember that once I was watching a movie at my schoolmate’s house. Suddenly I noticed through tear-stained eyes, my friend and her mother were quietly laughing looking at me. Perhaps if you were to see my facial expressions while I watch movie, you would also laugh. I guess I play happy, sad expressions on my face synchronously while watching movie.
From experience, I have learnt that I can enjoy a bad movie with people who can crack jokes and laugh. I was cracking jokes all along Jodhaa-Akbar because despite its visual brilliance, it was a drag.
4. I hate to miss any part of movie. I like to watch complete with epilogue and credits. I do notice how creatively credits have been rolled out. So that I can copy and use them when I make my own movie. 😛
I become angry with my companions if they were responsible for missing the movie. I sit through worst of movies, trying to make best time out of it. Only time I walked out in middle of a movie was when my companion had to leave for an urgent matter.
5. Even if you tell me that the movie I have been wanting to watch is bad, I would still like to go to theater and find out myself why it is bad. Your recommendation is just not enough if I have different expectations or gut feel about it.
6. I like to watch making of a movie after I have seen a nice movie. However, some of the makings are quite repetitive and useless publicity gimmicks. One movie whose making I enjoyed watching was Lagaan. It was a enriching, learning experience. I have similar expectations from DVD of Taare Zameen Pur. If there is is no making of the movie available (such as for Hitchcock movies), I search the Web to know more. There is this thirst in me about movies that needs to be quenched.
7. I love discussing a movie after I have watched it. If you agree with me, it makes me happy. If you have conflicting views, all the better. 🙂
8. I love watching foreign movies. I not only enjoy them at film festival, but also will happily watch them with subtitles on a DVD. I discovered my love for foreign flicks when a friend got me free passes for a movie festival.
9. Just as I like to watch a movie as soon as it arrives, I have no qualms about watching old movies. As I never saw a movie at school, I have lot of catching up to do in adult life. 🙂 Since past two years, I have been doing my best to watch classics and other old movies. If you have any suggestions about some nice old movies, do recommend them in the comments.
10. I avoid watching out-and-out action flicks, specifically gory movies like Apocalypto. For this reason, I could not bring myself to watch Passion of the Christ.
I thought animation movies were for kids. Not anymore. I like them now. 🙂
I like biographical movies like Pursuit of Happyness, Goodfellas, Schindler’s List, Chak de. I also love thrillers, comedies, romances, period dramas, suspense and documentaries. Pretty much everything. 😛
I tag some busy-bodies Vimal, Shuz, Sulz, Puresunshine and Sid. I am sure these people will have interesting things to tell. If you want to do this meme, let me know, I will add you in tag list for some link love. 🙂